Tuesday, September 9, 2008

How did you get to reading comics?

It was a hot summer afternoon. I was about 10 years old and was enjoying my summer holidays away from classrooms and teachers. My dad had to go shopping for groceries and asked me to come along, which I eventually agreed to.

In the supermarket, most of the kids my age would hang around the toys/video games section and organize some kind of Mario Bros. tournaments on what looked like an arcade machine but was in fact a NES… I believe most of us could not afford one at that time and were going to play on the display model at the supermarket instead.


For some reason, I decided not to join the other kids on that day and made my way to the books/comics section. Many books were available, especially French and Belgian titles such as The Adventures of Tintin or Lucky Luke.

While sifting through all the comics available on the shelves, I came across an interesting looking one, counting the tale of a fair skinned dude visiting the North Pole (that’s what I could guess from the cover). I started reading the story and eventually arrived at that critical moment where the main character slaughters Santa Claus… and all his helpers… as well as all the kids on Santa’s list… and probably their parents.

Yes, I was holding Lobo Paramilitary Christmas Special trade paperback in my hands. That’s when I became a Lobo fan (and eventually started looking deeper into the comic book universe). Since then, I have read more Lobo stories such as The Last Czarnian, Infanticide, Lobo’s back which I recommend reading if you’re looking for some fun material and want to have a good laugh without having to think too much.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP