Monday, June 8, 2009

Marathon read

I’ve done it; I’ve finally gone through the 7 Sin City trade paperbacks… This is quite a big chunk of a read, and the collection occupies quite a bit of real-estate on my shelves.

I remember picking them up from Amazon.com… They had like a “grab bag” promotion at the time which allowed me to get the complete story for less than USD90 shipped (and that’s a good deal considering I live half-way around the world). I was saving big on shipping; that was basically the main reason why I ordered it.

“What do you mean?” is my friend Pedro asking… What I mean is I know everybody says it’s an awesome story, I know it’s Frank Miller, I know they made a movie out of it BUT it’s black and white… Now this would have been OK if it was a re-re-re-reprint of some uber-long series that had started a long time ago (a bit like Essential Wolverine) but I always preferred comics that were in colours. So what I really mean is the decision making criteria was the attractive price tag.

For the exact same reason (and maybe also because it is quite bulky and would request some commitment to read the whole story in an acceptable time), the books just sat there for a while before I decided reading them… And it really is an awesome read. Frank Miller really deserves his reputation and he can surely draw a woman’s body… Or actually, maybe not, they’re never that perfect… So let’s say he can surely perfectly draw a man’s idea of a woman’s body.

Anyway, if you’re like me and are kind of hesitating when it comes to black and white comics, don’t pass up on Sin City, it’s a beautifully drawn and very well written story that’s intensified by the fact it is black and white… It may even convert you to only read black and white comics!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP